Tuesday, January 17, 2012

awkward

wow. today was extraordinarily long, and yet somehow i don't feel that tired. the only thing i keep dreading is that i have to be awake at 5.45 am tomorrow morning. so. what did i do today? i woke up around 8 and got ready to catch a bus at 9.20 which took us to a housing welcoming seminar-type thing. while we were waiting in line to go in, i met this guy from mexico (can't remember his name) and he was telling me how he wanted a roommate from africa, europe and another country. he said he got all, except an african, but he has two roommates from barbados so he guesses that that's the same thing haha. anyway, when we go inside, disney music is playing so loud, and inside the room is kinda smoky with multi-coloured lights flashing everywhere, it was just like going to a club away (except replace the disney music with something like techno.) that's the atmosphere they had us waiting in. afterwards, the regular lights came on, and the music shut off and various people talked to us about rules and what they help us with and the usual stuff. everyone wears the biggest smiles ever and is always so happy. they had a couple random questions that they were asking, and the prize for winning them was a huge box of fererro rochers. (but they did explain later that they order them by the truck-load (obviously an exaggeration, ben,) because when they have random room inspections and someone wins the "white glove award" they give them away, and usually most people win it.

afterwards, i came back to my apartment here at vista way, and just chilled for a bit. i wanted to take a nap but i knew i would never want to wake up for my next meeting. my next meeting was another tc3 orientation meeting where i met my teacher who'll be teaching me my online classes. his name is bud moody. seriously. he is a trip! he is so funny! i wish the classes weren't online so that i could see him on a weekly basis, he can put a smile on anyone's face. it's hilarious to watch him talk because he is always trying to rush for time, but he also wants to speak slow and enunciate every single word so that people who speak different languages can understand. it's so so funny.

after that meeting, we came back "home" and then i called a taxi to take us to walmart (FINALLY!) stephanie introduced me to two other colombians, named julian and consuelo and the four of us went to walmart to buy groceries and things like that. on my first night i bought a couple emergency food stuff, but this morning it all ran out. so i bought enough food that should hopefully last me for a long time. i had so many things and bags that i had to go to security and get this wagon looking cart. now. this was an experience in itself. firstly, the handle of the cart is so long and it swivels, so everytime i tried to turn it a little bit, it would go waaaaaay past where i wanted it to go and it always bumped into me (i don't know how because i was pulling it, so it was behind me, but you know me..) i usually cut through a basketball court to get to my apartment, because it makes life so much easier. the other way is a little pathway with tons of turns and hills. i get to the basketball court to find out there are a bunch of guys actually playing (i have never seen anyone near the court before tonight.) so i had to turn around and go the other way. i had to leave my cart at the bottom of the steps (because i live on the first floor, no, not the ground floor, ben, the first floor) and make two trips. as soon as i came back downstairs, the basketball game ended. just my luck. so i'm at the bottom of the stairs and i'm trying to fold the cart back together and i am having immense difficulty. so these two guys come over and ask if i need help, and they just took the cart from me before i even said anything, because they could obviously tell how uncoordinated i was. they offered to take the cart back to security for me, but i had to return it so i could get back my property i.d. so i start to wheel the cart back, and it bumped into me again, and i nearly tripped up (and the guys saw.) also, one of the guys who was helping me i saw yesterday at a seminar, and i thought he was kinda cute so that made it even more awkward. but i guess by now in my life i should be accustomed to making awkward situations for myself thanks to my total lack of coordination. so after making the trip alllllll the way back from security, i come back up the stairs, nearly fall over, and who's sitting on the other side of the steps? the cute guy. obviously. well, i went straight to my room - i just wanted to hide! i have to admit though, it's kind of funny. oh how nice it is to laugh at past situations. haha

well. i really dwelled on that topic. i apologize but usually i would call someone about this (like stephie or eri or anyone really) but i had no one to call. anyways, as i said, tomorrow i have to be up for 5.45 and maria-jose has given me the responsibility of getting her up - she's off galavanting with the other maria-jose. even niza isn't here. the only other person here is gabrielle, the other bajan, and she spends her life on skype. anyhow, it's off to bed for me! will hopefully be able to write another update tomorrow (and hopefully it's way more interesting than this one!)

p.s. my camera died today after taking like 1 picture! so i have my battery charging now so hopefully if i see anything interesting tomorrow i can take pictures and post them! also, tomorrow i have to wear "professional wear." ew. i've been so enjoying dressing warm and cute. ohh well! i find out all about my new job tomorrow!! so excited! buenas noches amigos! xoxox

2 comments:

  1. Jo, seems like you are having such an amazing time already! - Cant wait to see more pics :)

    -shanz xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. i want piece of this disney action doa, sounds like ya having a sweet time sista jo!!

    ReplyDelete