Friday, March 9, 2012

for mum

from as far back as i can remember, every day for my entire life, i have heard at least once, "you are the spit-out of your mother," or, "you and your mother could be twins," or, "you are just like your mother, it's unreal," or something along those lines. every single day. the majority of the time, i would probably roll my eyes, or make a sarcastic comment like, "really? i've never heard that before!" but i never once took it as an offence. since i've been up here, i have not heard once that i'm like my mother, and trutfully, i kind of miss it. actually, i lie. my mum did tell me a story of gold cup day, when my friends were in full form, having a wonderful time, that they did notice i was like her. i'm wondering if they are that oblivious that they are the only people that never realized it?

mum, where can i begin with you? we definitely have our little arguments, granted, almost every day (although this distance was good for us, because we haven't argued since i've come here really) but it's probably because we're so similar. but you have taught me the most valuable life lessons that i wouldn't have learned without you telling me a thousand times a day. from "don't lie," (which i don't, which can be proven because i've taken over your catch phrase of "one thing i hate is when people tell a lie,") to "jo, please don't overdo it tonight." usually i listen to you, because i hear you quarreling with me in the back of my head, but mostly because you usually are always right (unless i'm right, of course.) sometimes when we argue you wind up telling me, "jodi do not speak to me like if i'm one of your little friends," (i'm still not quite sure why, after all these years, you throw 'little' in there - we are growing up, ya know,) and this comment always throws me. mainly because, i do consider you one of my very best friends. you are the one person who is always honest with me, even if it hurts my feelings for a little while. but i always say, i'd rather be hurt with the truth than be lied to. you tell me when i wear something unflattering, when the rest of my friends tell me "oh my god jodi, you are so not fat, i love that outfit," when i already know it looks horrible. i get vex when you tell me that (especially when you've told me that about every single outfit in my cupboard,) but i know you're right, and i don't know why, after all these years, i still get upset.

you have commended me for all the good i've done, and never once have you put me down. if i messed up, you would talk to me, and find out how i want to make it better. and even when i'm nervous to tell you news that i think might disappoint you, and i put it off a little bit, you find out anyway, and you're still the most understanding person, and i know you will go to all extremes to help. you are so patient, too. i know from when ben and i started school, it was just as much a learning experience for you. you started doing homework and projects again. you put so much responsibilities on yourself, that we probably could have, and should have, dealt with on our own, but you, being the wonderful, supportive mother you are, did it anyway. in the past few years, you have developed this constant worry, that i thought would have been more existent when we were little children, but for some reason, you have found so many things to worry about, but i wish you could see that you have instilled such morals and values in us that you shouldn't have to worry.

there are so many things i appreciate that you have given me. while you have given me countless material things that i would consider myself spoiled, you have shown me that those material things are not important. you have showed me that family, friends, health, love, happiness and education are so much more important. "family is the most important thing," and "all the money in the world can't buy happiness," and "your education is the one thing people can't take from you," are things you have told me that have definitely stuck. you have given me the skill of having good manners. from when i could remember, everywhere we went you told us "give so and so a kiss and a hug," and i despised that, but i did it anyway, because if not it would be trouble. now, it's something that i would feel wrong not doing, and i get so disgusted when i see little children who have bad manners, and i do not understand how they don't even say "hello" when they see someone. you taught me that manners do matter. another thing that i love that you have given me, is the confidence to turn any object into a microphone, and any location into a stage, and the social singer i become after i've had one too many drinks, become comfortable where i am. you also taught me not to let anyone tell me i can't do something (which is probably why people get so annoyed when they tell me to stop singing, and i continue on anyway.)

"the four of us are a team. we work and do things together." me, dad and ben would be nowhere without you. if we are all a team, you are not only the team leader, but the glue that holds us all together. please believe, that with all my heart i know you are the best mother anyone could ask for. i remember a couple of times you have asked me "do you wish i was more like so and so's mother?" NEVER. never ever. when i was younger, i used to complain that you wouldn't allow me to do certain things, but i know better now, i know that it's because you cared, and still care, so much. some kids got to do whatever they wanted, whenever they wanted, with no rules whatsoever, and i was so jealous, but i am so thankful now.

i have so much respect for you and i love you so much. i wish i could be home to celebrate your birthday with you, but i know you'll have a wonderful day anyway. have a special birthday mum. i love you so much and i miss you terribly. there is so much more i could write, because you are such a great mother, wife, daughter, friend, boss, role model and influence. i can't wait to see you AND GIVE YOU A HUG! lots and lots of love for a very special birthday. xoxoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment