Saturday, July 14, 2012

the last blog

the last night was a rough one. after spending the day quietly at our home with my roommates we went to magic kingdom to watch wishes for the last time. i went back to my work location one last time, said some more final goodbyes and met up with my friends. we walked together to main street to watch the fireworks and as they set off, so did the waterworks. all the girls were tearing up knowing that it was our last time togther, in this wonderful, magical place that we called home for six months. after wishes, walking down main street usa was hard too. my favourite place in the world was no longer 'in my back yard.' no more can i just go and ride a roller coaster, or watch a parade, or see a fireworks show, or eat at one of the worldwide known restaurants in disney. there was so much we had at our fingertips that people spend years and years and years saving money to experience just for a few short days. after the show, we went back and just limed together for the last time. one by one everyone decided they needed to go home to get some sleep for the long day of travelling the next day. each goodbye got harder and harder. the friends that i made while being here are such wonderful people and not knowing when i'll see them again is something i can't quite wrap my head around. i got home, tried to repack my suitcase (for the fourth or fifth time) to get everything to fit and then after one hour's sleep, it was time to say goodbye to two of my roommates. lord that was so difficult. these girls who became my best friends and my sisters were now leaving. we waited for their bus to pick them up and when it came we quietly walked over, and then it was the moment of truth and it hit me like a brick wall. niza and i went back to our apartment, and it was so quiet. but after a few hours, we had to get ready for our taxi to pick us up and take us to the airport. i had to hand in my disney i.d and my housing i.d and my key and it wasn't a nice feeling at all. while we were waiting for the taxi to come, we were just watching other people say their goodbyes to their friends, and even though we didn't know them it was still so emotional. they were far away enough that we couldn't hear what they were saying, but close enough that we could feel the sadness in their goodbye hugs. after our taxi finally came, we picked up mauricio from his house. there i had to say goodbye to britt one last time, and again, one of the hardest things i've had to do. we drove off and i quietly kept to myself in the taxi while i had to control the tears from coming. when we got to the airport we struggled to carry all eight hundred thousand of our suitcases so we had to get a cart. thank god mauricio was there with us because we probably would have died if it weren't for him. my suitcases were overweight, but the lady i was dealing with was bajan and she let it slide. she also let the three of us sit together on our way to miami. i was fine in the airport, fine when we boarded the plane; it felt as if it was part of our adventure, and we were just going somewhere together for the day. but as the plane started to move, we all just sat there with tears in our eyes, quietly comforting each other, knowing exactly what everyone was feeling. when we got to miami, and got off the plane, i was fine again, knowing that i had a couple hours before the last goodbye came. however, when we got off and the lady was there to direct us, we found out mauricio's gate was in the opposite direction from ours, and so far away. ours was in egypt apparently and we had to take the sky train over to it. finding that out was shocking, and i cried like a baby when i had to say goodbye to him because it was the last goodbye, and he became one of my very best friends. i couldn't stop the tears from coming as we waited for the plane home. and even on the plane, i kept tearing up. i was so exhausted, and so emotional, that i didn't know if the exhaustion was making me more emotional, or if the sadness was making me more tired. coming home felt good as my family was there to meet me at the airport. coming to my house, and seeing everything, and my dogs and my room and my bed and everything made me feel good as well. it definitely felt like home when two of my friends and my brother came home at two thirty in the morning (slightly tipsy) to wake me up and welcome me home. i'm home.

and i just want to thank all my friends on the program for making it the incredible experience that it was. without you it definitely wouldn't be the same, and without you i wouldn't be the same. i've grown to love so many people from around the world and i know i have best friends wherever i go. so thank you. thank you thank you thank you for everything. i love you and wish you the best with everything and look forward to seeing you SOON. always be safe and always be happy and find the magic in everything. i wish you all the success in the world. always know you have a friend in me and a home in barbados. love you always.

No comments:

Post a Comment